Monday, June 21, 2010

We're Goin' to the Chapel...

**This post is part of the Summer Marriage Challenge**

March 26, 2005

Finally it is our wedding day(although we had a short engagement 3 months, after dating a year), lots to do on this long yet exciting day!! Up early and coordinating everything, I found my mind to be full, although I was determind to make sure that I would enjoy every aspect, wether or not things went well (right, not sure if the perfectionist in me would allow that); that was my goal. To be expected, not everything went exactly to plan, but the ceremony was lovely (or at least that was my thought!), names were not mixed up (like I've heard of happening), we said our vows and pledged our life to each other before God, family and friends!


Our vows:

I, ___ take you, ___ to be my wife/husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through the good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart and my love, from this day forward as long as we both shall live.

Someday I would like to take our vows and frame them or put them on a plaque so that we can hang them up in our home as a daily remind of our promise before God and each other. This way, on the days when it's hard to 'like' your spouse because you want to do something and he doesn't, or his little quirks are driving you batty, when you drive too slow and he drives too fast, or when you have to ask him if he heard anything you said and he answers with a 'huh', on those days you can look past the humanity of everything and see the bigger picture.

I know that in this day and age, so often the emphasis is on the wedding day, not the marriage, on what type of flowers, colors or wedding cake - not on who is going to be in charge of paying the bills, division of labor and how you plan to raise your children! As the summer tends to be wedding season, if you are close to someone who is getting married, ask them if they are ready for marriage, not just the wedding!

We walked out to this song :) (it has a weird video, not offensive just weird) but really fun :)

3 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

You two look so cute :-) WE had a short engagement also (best advice we got from our family )

I agree the wedding is 1 day and marriage is way more important!!!!

Thanks for sharing

Ps I will watch the video later, one precious little girls needs to nurse, again LOL

Jen at SoulFULL Cafe said...

I love the idea about posting the vows on the wall. What a great idea!

Goofball said...

I've seen this picture before...it's so beautiful.


Wow, what a brief engagement. Can you get it all practically arranged in such a short time? We had to book our wedding location 16 months in advance and had hardly a choice of available dates anymore!

I love your thought about too much emphasis on the wedding rather than the marriage! there's those bridzilla shows on tv and I always wonder WTF....how can you get so upset over trivial things. I wanted our wedding especially to be spontaneous and fun. eg Just before we walked into the church our flower girls had run off and were racing somewhere through the church and someone asked if they had to go and get them to make them walk in front of us. I answered that it would be too much hassle , they were having fun now and we could walk into the church without them in front of us anyway.

I've enjoyed preparing the texts of the service most, more than any other preperation.