Monday, May 02, 2011
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Monday, April 04, 2011
Monday, February 28, 2011
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Rule #1: the tagged person must write their answers on their blog and replace any question they dislike with a new question they formulated themselves.
Rule # 2: tag 4 people to do this quiz; they cannot refuse (ok, so nothing bad will happen if you don't participate but I would love to see your answers). The tag-ee must state who tagged them.
1. If you have pets, do you see them as merely animals or are they members of your family?
Honestly, I fall somewhere in between. We have a dog and the kids love her, I enjoy having her around (when she's not digging in my flowerbeds) and it feels empty when she's not around. At the same time, I refuse to treat her like a human (baby talk, cuddling, etc), she is just a dog.
2. If you could have a dream come true, what would it be?
A dream come true would be for us to own our own sucessful business. It's in our 5yr plan to be in a position financially to open our own business (so a lot of work, blood, sweat and tears is ahead!)
3. What would you do with a billion dollars?
Obviously with this sort of money there's enough to go around, but here are some things:
- donating to my home church, the Bible college I attended, many other good causes (well researched, making sure that money is being used appropriately)
- own a large acreage so my kids (and husband) can play outside to their hearts content. With a home that is big enough for growing kids, and one that allows us to have overnight company, but small enough that we may rub shoulders with those we love everyday!
- live debt free, even though I would have to 'ok' my husband buying all those 'toys' he wants.
- open said business
- share with our families so that our siblings may live comfortably and our parents could retire comfortably if they so desired (or just do some of those things they never could have before)
- Travel. I would love to take my kids to all sorts of places, I would love to discover this wonderful world!
- I would love to set up (or fund or be a part of) some sort of organization for women in poorer countries to educate and be able to develope their own businesses to support their families
- My kids education
4. What helps pull you out of a bad mood?
lol, I have good practice at this one! Cuddling with my husband, watching a 'favorite' show while curled up with a blanket and drinking a warm latte, HGTV :), reading a good book, going 'window' shopping by myself, going to the mall and people watching, going for a walk while listening to my favorite tunes, doing something fun and spontaneous with my kids, giggling and tickling my kids :)
5. What is your bedtime routine with your kids?
It can vary depending on how the day went. Basically send the kids to the bathroom, jammies on, brush their teeth, then into bed. I like to talk about their day and pray with them, hugs and kisses and tuck them in. If they are ready for bed early, I'll read them a story or two in my rocking chair before bringing them to their room.
6. If you are currently in a relationship, where did you meet your significant other?
I met my husband where I worked - I saw him almost everyday :) (no he was not a co-worker)
7. What kind of books do you read?
Recently I have got into reading Nora Roberts books. They have a little romance, a little mystery and not too 'heavy' that I can put them down if I have to attend to the kids. I also read "self-help" books, if you want to call them that.. I finished an EXCELLENT book on marriage called Every Woman's Marriage (definately recommend to any married woman!!), I am now reading a parenting book (Shepherding a Child's Heart)
8. What is one luxury you allow yourself to indulge in without feeling guilty?
latte's and HGTV, lol - although it may be counter productive to my exercising :)
9. What's your fear?
I fear that I may be making the 'wrong' decisions (although there really is no right and wrong) regarding different areas of raising my kids. Also that my bad days or weaknesses will influence my kids more than the good/positive.
10. Would you give up all junk food for the rest of your life for the opportunity to see outer space?
... define junk food.. lol, I would like to think that I would give up junk food for such an incredible opportunity
11. What's the first thing you do when you wake up?
Get out of bed. Now this seems obvious, but if I don't get out of bed, I tend to roll over and try go back to sleep, lol. Otherwise, make the kids breakfast :)
12. If you could change one thing about your significant other, what would it be?
That we could have really good discussions/debates without things getting heated or negative - just discussing things for the sake of talking about it, even if it's not current or relative to what's going on in our lives at the moment. I can enjoy a good intellectual discussion :)
13. If you could pick a new name for yourself what would it be?
I think I would keep my name. It is not very common, plus my Dad named me :) Even if I get the occasional comment, 'oh Ellen, like Ellen Degeneras?', yes, but no..
14. If you had to choose between six months of sun or six months of rain, what would you choose?
Sun all the way!!
15. If you could eat only one thing for the next six months what would it be?
Pasta's.. I love pasta and sauces :)
16. What is the thing you enjoy about blogging the most?
I enjoy the platform to say the things I have been thinking about. I enjoy hearing from other bloggers and getting to 'know' some of them! I also like that I can 'document' some of our family life :)
17. Do you prefer salty or sweet foods?
This really depends on the day of the week.. but probably salty more than sweet.
18. What items are in your purse right now?
Oh I carry around a purse full of rocks.. lol.. my purse is my diaper bag (may as well use the large purse fashion to it's fullest) so there is anything from wipes, wallet, treats, spare sleeper, extra socks (you know, in case you go to the playplace and someone forgot their socks), a doll, receipts, pen, checkbook, diapers (clean!), and who knows what else!!
19. If you had to choose between vacationing at the beach or in the mountains, where would you go?
Can I go to a beach that's in the mountains?? Today I would say beach - but it has to have turquois water so I can go snorkelling with my man!!
20. What do you watch on television that you know you shouldn't?
Food Network - Diners, Drive-ins and Dives... it makes me SOOOO hungry and I usually end up snacking in bed, lol.
Now I tag:
Carrie at The Famulaks
Samantha at Mama Notes
Goofball at Goofballs World
Friday, February 18, 2011
Monday, February 07, 2011
I'd like to break down the SAHM term and address the 'mom' part. Being a mother is an incredibly rewarding and difficult and wonderful and challenging role. Each one of us in our mother role, whether working or staying at home with our children, has an important part to play - a responsibility to precious little human beings.
The fact that I am able to stay home with my kids is something that I feel is a privilege, but it is not all easy! When I first brought my son home I was three weeks into my maternity leave. For two years I worked in a very social job. I saw people come and go all day long, even though it was a managerial position it was also very much a customer service job. Three weeks later, home alone with a newborn baby, wow did it get quiet in the house! It didn't take long to learn that if I wanted to maintain my sanity, I HAD to get out of the house on a regular basis.
I struggle with motivating myself to clean my house. I have finally, now, learned how to manage my week, my day in order to most efficiently get my house in order (not saying I do it all the time though, lol). I have learned and continue to learn how to get through the winter without me or my kids going completely nuts because of being couped up. I have learned to see the signs of wear on myself and how to combat it with 'me' time. When Mommy is happy the family is happy!
There are many more examples I could give you about how I've learned to be a SAHM and am continuing to learn. It's not just about doing whatever you want (like a holiday at home), it's about creating a home, defining a schedule for yourself, figuring out what you want from this space in your life, what you want for you kids in this time of their life and following through with these things. I have found that one of the biggest challenges in motherhood is me. I have learned more about myself and my weaknesses/strengths and issues I thought I'd dealt with while being a mom, and I'm only 5 years into my life term :) I look forward to continuing to learn throughout the many phases of being a mom :)
Wednesday, February 02, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
I was introduced to you very randomly through this funny little thing called the internet. You don't know me and I don't know your family, but I feel like we have a common bond. You see I have a baby girl too. She is only a month older than you, but there is something special about little baby girls with big eyes. You both have that mystery of something more; you share secrets in that magically beautiful face. You are a blessing to so many and display the wonderous love and faithful promises of the Creator. Please give you brothers and sisters big smiles when they poke and squish your cheeks; get your tiny fist tangled in your mommy's hair and breath that soft sigh while resting on your daddy's chest, for these are the normal moments of your little life. All too soon you will be fighting with your siblings, getting into mommy's make-up and wrapping your daddy around your little finger; life happens too fast! So tonight I hold my baby girl a little bit tighter as I rock her to sleep, for I know that your mother is doing the same. Little Miss Molly, may your Heavenly Father bless you and your family and keep you safe while you journey a hard road.
Blessings and love from afar,
If my message has caught your interest, please visit Baby Molly's website, they can use all the prayers, kind words and support that they can get now. What this family is going through would be so hard, I can't imagine going through this with my precious little baby!