Friday, January 16, 2009

1-800...

I don't know if the rest of you have this service across Canada, but it is one thing I could not live without :) Every mother needs to have this! A 1-800 number to call when you have a bad feeling about your child's health, if you are not sure if you should take them in to ER, or just moniter them at home, a number to call 24 hrs a day! We have such a 1-800 number, and I LOVE it! You call and get to talk to a Registered Nurse, talk about symptoms, what to watch for, when to take your child in and lots of other really good information. Now this is not to take place of a Dr.'s diagnosis, but it can save needless trips to the ER :) I have used this free service many times, since my children were born (a lifesaver for those new mom jitters when baby gets sick), for little questions (like what temp. is considered a fever) and big ones (like what to watch for after my baby fell down the stairs). Now I usually take what the nurses say into consideration, if I am still not comfortable after I have talked with them, I will still take my kids in, or if I don't think it's quite as serious I will wait, but it's nice to have a sounding board and advice! No, this is not an advertisment! I just feel like singing the praises of these Nurses who probably don't get the recognition that I think they deserve!! Thank you ladies, thank you for being there at 5am when my son is sick and I can't sleep cause I'm worried, thank you for being there at 1am when my daughter has a fever and I don't know how high is too high, thank you for being there just to assure me that I am doing the right things and help me watch for signs that mean my children need a Dr.'s care! THANK YOU!!

2 comments:

Allie said...

I wish that we had that service here! I used it a ton when I lived in Calgary and thought too that it was the best service around. I found that the nurses were always so compassionate and thoughtful of my worries yet they gave me the confidence to trust in my instincts.

I think that they probably don't get enough kudos so good for you in recognizing them!!

Stacey said...

We have something like that, called Health LInks. You get to talk to a nurse.