Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Women's Health**Use Discrection**

This past weekend was lots of fun! Me and my kids went on a road trip with a friend and visited with my parents for the weekend. This weekend was more than just a holiday with family, it was a much needed break for me to recoup. I don't know what it was, but the last few months, especially this last one, I have felt a lot of anger. It ate me up inside, I was angry at my kids for the smallest things, angry at my husband for anything 'wrong' he did, I was just plan angry at anything and everything... I felt so guilty for treating everyone I loved with such contempt and NO patience whatsoever!! My temper fuse went from 0-100 in a second. I just didn't understand why I was so upset all the time. I think things may be piecing together though, small pieces that seem unassuming, but when pieced together, make a lot of sense :)

I don't know when exactly this symptom started, but for the last 3 months for sure, I have been getting hot flashes! How old am I??? Not that old :) It was a pain, I was constantly hot and cold and my poor family had to suffer in a cold house, because I was SO sweating hot!!

In the last few months I also noticed a small weight gain.. now normally I have a 5lb fluctuation of my weight, but this was above what was normal for me.

More recently, I had some weird feeling in my breasts, like as if I were pregnant and they were growing, sensitivity.. the thing was, I was just finishing my period, so I couldn't be pregnant (also confirmed by the Dr.). So I did see the Dr. and before he would continue to diagnose, he suggested going off the pill. Now before I get all of these 'pill bashing' comments, let me continue :) I had been on this type of birth control for pretty much a year with no adverse side affects, that's why I thought that it was strange to be experiencing things now. These side affects are considered somewhat 'normal' within the first three months of starting the pill since your body is adjusting. The previous pill I took for a year never affected me at all in this way, but I had to change types due to other reasons. I still support using the birth control pill, but at the same time, you have to be aware of your body and what it's telling you. There are many different BC pill options, if one doesn't work for your body, it doesn't mean that none of them will work.

So the reason for this post, if you find yourself feeling anything similar, please listen to your body, add up the symptoms, you know what's normal for you - and yes things seem to be subsiding and I am feeling a lot better already :)

3 comments:

Allie said...

How difficult that can be isn't it? To isolate what is causing symptoms and feeling frustrated all of the same. Good for you for listening to your body and getting it figured out!!

Oh - and to answer your question, no, Masyn's birthday was on Feb 15th. Shame on me for having that post partially completed only to getting around and finishing it today. That makes me wallow in Mommy guilt I tell you. :)

Stacey said...

First I thought you were going to say something about early menopause or something like that! It's a good thing you figured it out and can switch pills. You already know what I think of the pill, so I won't go no about it :) Hope you'll be back to normal soon!

Ellen said...

Thanks Allie and Stacey for your comments.. Stacey - I know I was thinking the hotflashes were kind of strange too.. but I am supposed to moniter myself for the next month and if things don't change I have to go in again.. because then it could be something else..