Sunday, March 22, 2009

Helping Others...

I have always wanted to get a sponsor child, especially when I had kids. I think it would be a great opportunity for my own kids to help and learn about less fortunate kids. My problem is trying to decide which sponsor group to go with. There are so many groups and I know I have to be careful which one to go through. I have heard of groups where the sponsor child only gets a very small portion of what we actually donate (the group takes a lot of the money for 'admin fees'), and I have heard of a groups that are actually fraudulant, where there is no actual child (people I know went to visit the child and that child didn't even exsist!!). So who do you trust? I went on the Compassion child website and looked through several of the children profiles and was really surprised that most of these children had families and went to school! I thought there would be a lot of orphans and really poor children (that couldn't afford or have access to school). Not saying that these other children didn't have needs, I guess I just expected they would have more of a need; you know you see the child starving (with all their bones sticking out and big tummies) in all the pictures and ads - where are those children?? Anyway, any of you sponser a child? If so, what Sponsor group did you use? Have you been happy with how things are going? This has been on my heart a lot but I really want to know that I'm making a smart decision and not just throwing my money to another organization!

On another note, anyone heard of the Canadian Blood Services group called One Match? I donate blood as much as I can (which isn't often, they don't do that many clinics here) but I also joined One Match which was formerly the Unrelated Bone Marrow Registry. You can help cancer patients or people with other diseases, if you are a match to someone in need, they collect stem cells through blood or bone marrow (depending on the need) and it can help save a life. So if you are a blood donor (or even if you're not), check into it - I think it's pretty cool, it would be an amazing thing to be able to help someone in need like that! I have a rare blood type so I figure it's important for me to participate since what if it's me that's in need someday? Anyway, check it out if you're interested :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a sponsor child through grace missions and we are very happy with the organisation

Michelle said...

I've been struggling with that too! I really want to sponsor a child, but i have a tough time finding the right sponsor group.. i tend to be a little leary about some as I have heard some of the same as what you have heard Ellen!! Also on the Blood thing.. remember if they come to town, I am coming with you :)

Stacey said...

I have met a lot of people from Grace Missions, as our pastor travels to Haiti a few times each year to work with them. I would totally trust them :)

Susanna said...

We sponsor children through 3 different organizations - Children International (which I wouldn't recommend simply because they are based in the US), World Vision, and Compassion. We have been very happy with Compassion Canada, and feel they use the money the best. We find that World Vision is constantly sending us little cards and things to send to the children, which isn't bad, but they always ask you to donate additional money every time you send them something, and this is on top of your monthly sponsor cost. Our feeling then is that a lot of the money you give is going towards their mailings and products you are supposed to send to the kids. So, I would recommend Compassion, they have been great! I have never heard of Grace Missions, but they might be good too (from what other people are saying).

Allie said...

My aunt and her family have sponsored two families for years now. I will have to find out the organization in which she is affiliated with; she returns from spring break vacation today ....

As for the Canadian Red Cross - when living in Calgary, I was very active with both platelet and whole blood donation. However, it got to the point that it felt like they were stalking me with multiple phone calls per week asking for donation, when in fact I couldn't because of the time frame (recovery) in which you are allowed to do so. They were extremely disorganized with poor communication within and sadly, left a very poor taste in my mind. Their "database" would mysteriously loose my information, hence having to start all over again. I should point out that I had been doing this every 2 1/2 weeks for platelets and 3 months for whole blood for 10+ years, so one would think that my file should have been complete (such as recall times, recovery times from pregnancy etc).

Having said all of that, now that things have settled down for me, I would participate again because it is so very important. Now that I live in a small town away from large city centers, the opportunity to do so happens perhaps once a year when a travel team pulls through. I am however going to check with the hospital about emergency donations if needed.

Ellen said...

wow Allie, that is pretty bad! I guess I have only had the 'small town' experience, since they only come here once a year too (they have a shortage of nurses I guess). That's pretty dedicated of you to donate so regularly! I would probably do twice a year if I lived in a larger center, but who wants to be borderline harrassed all the time!! I am going to continue looking for the right match company and will keep you updated with what we do :)

omahan said...

My name is Joseph and I just returned home to India 30 years after teaching in S.E.Asia and later in the U.S. I came across a tiny community devastated by the Tsunami and I wish to represent their cause to the outside world. Unlike many of the NGO's which I found are real tricksters I am touched by this particular one namely www.HESAT.net. Take a look and you will understand. The guy behind all this is completely committed and lives like Mother Theresa. If you guys wish to help these kids go ahed and do it.