Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Marriage Challenge

I know that I didn't post last week about the Summer Marriage Challenge - there is a reason for that. The challenge for last week was: Make your husband a priority. Ask him what his favorite dinner, desert and drink are. Be sure to serve him all three one night this week. Bonus: cook his favorite dishes all week long! Not that I didn't want to do this challenge, but this week there was one day where my husband came home before 8:30pm! So it really was not feasible this week. It will have to be something that I will do at a later time for him. This week's challenge should prove to be interesting! The challenge is: Support his vision. Discuss his vision for your family. Where does he see your family in 1 year, 5 years and 10 years. Share with us how you let your husband lead. First of all I would like to mention that I appreaciate that it was mentioned that: first - listen. Listen to your husband's vision for your family. Secondly - enter into their vision and share what you dream and envision. From there see where the differences may lie and flesh those out. In the places where you do not see eye to eye - let your husband lead. I am a huge believer in discussion! I also know that it is invaluable to sit and just listen (really listen, not just hear). So I like this approach much better than just that of the challenge itself.

I know this is going to be interesting because I have been trying to find out what my husband's vision is for a while, but my husband isn't really a long term planner. That or else take into account that he's a 'dreamer' type personality and his 5yr plan should actually be in the 10 or 15yr slot because of the feasibility (he doesn't necessarily have a plan of how to get there, just that he wants to be there in 5yrs, not realizing that some things just take time especially if he is going to be as particular as he is about certain things). The other issue, he doesn't think he'll live another 10 years so he doesn't think he needs to plan that far in advance. Yes I'm serious. At first this sounds morbid (that's what I thought for a long time) but taken with two other facts about him and it's understandable how he can feel that way. First, his grandfather died at 45 and a lesser second - he has no clue of his paternal health history and believes that his bio father died young as well (yes this is a whole other issue). Anyway - back to the challenge, it may take a while, but I will try my best to find opportunity for us to discuss vision - I would really like to hear his!

1 comment:

Goofball said...

this looks like the most interesting & rewarding challenge so far. Good luck with it